Teal, a 1940's 23' Keel Boat, arrives in the workshop on the start of her new journey
Restoration work continues on "Teal", a lovely king billy carvel yacht for a local client. She was built in Burnie back in the 1940's. We believe she was the "Cappy" design by J. Julius Fanta. She has a beautiful hull shape and apparently was a real performer. In a lovely turn of events we have had the son of one of the original owners come forward to help complete the history on the boat.
So far work has entailed;
- getting the shape back into the hull
- new celery top pine stem, keelson and keel and huon pine transom
- the hull has also been extended by 2' aft
- fairing the hull and preparing her for the cold molded overlay
- cutting veneers for the cold molding
- applying two diagonal layers and one fore and aft layer of cold molded veneers
- applying double bias fibreglass cloth sheathing to the completed planking
- fitting laminated frames and floors to the hull - completing the deck framing
- laid teak decks over marine ply substrate
The current owner is going to sail her extensively when she is finished including some coastal racing so we have decided to go with a king billy cold molded overlay over the old carvel planking which will make her immensely strong and able to handle the stresses that will be imposed upon her.
We'll try to keep the photos updated regularly on her journey back to the water - enjoy.
Taking the lines off the hull
Lofting the lines to help correct shape
Rolling the hull
Fitting the new celery top pine keelson
Fairing the old king billy carvel planking
dry fitting the first diagonal layer of king billy pine
Fitting laminated celery top pine frames and floors
fitting the laid teak decks
Denman Marine specialises in custom wooden boat building and repair. We utilise both traditional methods such as carvel or clinker and modern methods such as strip planking, cold molding or clinker plywood.
We can custom build to any design - for example those by Iain Oughtred, David Payne, Paul Gartside, John Welsford, Mark Bowdidge, Francois Vivier, Atkin , Bolger B&B etc.
We are sole Australian agents for Swallow Boats(UK) including the BayRaider, the Australian importer and re-seller of the world renowned Bruynzeel BS1088 Gaboon Marine Plywood (Lloyds certified), Barton Marine products (UK) and Australian agent for Chesapeake Light Craft wooden kit boats (USA).